Cheryshev – the ninth Russian who scored in the Champions League playoffs
Champions League Champions League Shatov Oleg Cheryshev Denis
The list includes Izmailov, Alenichev and Semak.
“Atalanta” defeated “Valencia” (4: 1) in the first game of 1/8 Champions League. The main event of the match for the Russian man is the goal of Denis Cheryshev, which he scored two minutes after being replaced.
Cheryshev became the ninth Russian player to score in the playoffs of the Champions League in the current format (since the 1992-1993 season).
Watch other UEFA.com tweets in Russian
1) The first was Igor Korneev. This happened on the first of March 1995 in the match between Barcelona and PSG. The game ended with a score of 1: 1, one of Korneyev’s partners in that match was Josep Guardiola, and the team was coached by Johan Kroif.
2) The season 1995/96 was great for Yuri Nikiforov – in the Champions League he scored five goals in eight games for Spartak. Of these, two in the playoffs – in the game against Nantes, Nikiforov made a double. Most importantly, Nikiforov was the central defender.
3) Marat Izmailov, February 24, 2004, “Lokomotiv” – “Monaco”, 2: 1. “Loko” was coached by Yuri Semin, 18-year-old Bilyaletdinov was on the substitute, Morientes, Adebayor, Julie, Evra, Prsho played for “Monaco”.
4) In the same year, Dmitry Alenichev scored his great goal in the Champions League final for Porto. Against the same “Monaco”.
5) February 16, 2011, Arsenal – Barcelona, the first match of the 1/8 finals. Andrei Arshavin comes on as a substitute and scores the winning goal (2: 1) against the legendary Barca Guardiola.
6) Remember the match of “Zenith” and “Benifiki” in 2012? Then in the first game “Zenith” won 3: 2, and in the return game lost 0: 2 and took off. In that match, the current coach of the team scored – Sergei Semak. Future Zenit players played for that Benfica: Garay and Witsel.
7) A double in that game was made by Roman Shirokov – they and Nikiforov are the only Russian players who scored more than one goal in the Champions League playoffs. And who, in principle, scored more than one goal in the playoffs.
8) Oleg Shatov in 2014 scored Klopp’s Borussia when Zenit lost 2-4 at home.
9) Denis Cheryshev. February 20, 2020.