Man City is being removed from the Champions League. Is it final? Is PSG the next? What next do Pepu do?
Last May, Man City was discussed openly about a possible ban, but still no one believed in it at all. Now this is confirmed, and the message flaunts right on the UEFA official website. Manchester City will not be allowed to participate in the European Cup tournaments in the seasons 2020/21 and 2021/22, and will also receive a fine of 30 million euros.
According to UEFA, the club committed serious violations of the rules for licensing financial fair play – it deliberately overestimated sponsorship income in the 2012-2016 reports. Here is a lot of material about how FFP generally works.
There are many questions in this new reality.
1. Is this decision final or will we still see Man City in the Champions League in the fall? The club has the right to appeal. Man City has already issued an official statement on the site, where he called the decision biased. He will seek a ban on CAS (Sports Court of Arbitration).
2. Further, we assume that City will not be able to appeal the decision in court. Question – how will the club exist in the next two years? After all, he will not receive any income from the Champions League, and will there be enough motivation for players only for domestic tournaments, given that they did not win the main European trophy?
3. It turns out that this season the fifth place in the Premier League will be champions? Few people doubt that City will finish in the fourth place (the gap from the fifth line is now 12 points). Then in the Champions League zone is now going to the fifth Sheffield United, and indeed almost half of the championship claims to be this place. Even the 13th Southampton on the lost is only five points from this position.
4. Will Pep leave for sure now? Rumors about Guardiola’s departure to Juventus at the end of the season are very loud, they will probably want to return their coach to Barcelona if Seten fails. Again, what motivation does Pep have to spend two seasons without the Champions League, which he could not win at City?
5. How many times will Sergio Aguero recall the phrase that he will remain in Man City until he won the Champions League? Or maybe it will be an additional super-motivation to win it now, and we will see an even more evil striker?
6. By the way, what will UEFA do then if the Champions League 2019/20 wins Man City? Will he really not allow the current winner to play further? There was already such an episode in the 1993/94 season when Marseille, who won the previous Champions League, was not allowed into a new one – this was due to a scandal in France with contractual games, as a result of which the Marseille club was thrown into the second division (instead of the Champions League “Marcel” played “Monaco” and reached the semifinals).
7. I wonder how much more with such bold decisions the head of UEFA Alexander Cheferin will hold out at his post? We know how tough he is in the attempt of top clubs to create the Super League (Cheferin is strongly opposed to this idea). We also remember that Cheferin did not openly support the transfer of the 2018 World Cup from Russia. Now he throws out of the European cups almost the richest club in them. It is very bold and inspires respect, but what kind of relations does he have with the elite and do they spoil?
8. Does this mean that PSG is waiting for the fate of Man City? After all, he also appeared in the investigations of Football Leaks – it was alleged there that Gianni Infantino helped Parisians to avoid sanctions due to FFP.
9. For the first time in how many years, the anthem of the Champions League will not sound in Manchester? In fact, in the 1995/96 season the Champions League did not come to this city for the last time – then Blackburn represented England. Since then, Manchester United has been a constant participant in the Champions League with a break for several years in the 2010s, but then it was already impossible to imagine a tournament without Man City. In the case of the City ban, hoping for Manchester United is also difficult with their very unpredictable and unstable performance in the Premier League. However, they somehow got used to Milan, where both teams could not get into this tournament for some time.
10. We are not sleeping, and is it true? Does a rich club really lose their right to play in the Champions League due to a violation of generally accepted rules? Yes, all this is true. Just do not forget that a wealthy club will definitely have very skilled lawyers. So the whole struggle is still ahead.